Pitt Rivers Museum - Pitt Rivers opens after facelift
The Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford has reopened to the public following a £10 million refurbishment by Pringle Richards Sharratt.
The museum, which hosts the university’s ethnographical collection, was founded in 1884 by lieutenant general Augustus Pitt Rivers, who donated 18,000 of his ethnic artefacts to Oxford.
It houses around 300,000 objects, with around 100,000 now on public display, which are complemented by a research centre. A 1960s gallery space has been replaced by a small events area and a new entrance platform accommodates a shop and reception.
Work began on the second phase of the refurbishment project in July last year.
© Building Design 2009