Leeds University Art Gallery - Stanley and Audrey Burton Gallery
The Leeds University Art Gallery is situated in the University's Parkinson Building, a Grade II listed building completed in 1952. The building’s clock tower is a major landmark on the Leeds skyline and provides the University with a distinctive physical presence in the city. The gallery is situated off the main entrance to the Parkinson Building. Pringle Richards Sharratt were appointed as architects after a competitive interview process.
The scheme provides a new more welcoming entrance to the gallery off the Parkinson Court and the permanent exhibition space has been increased in size and provides more hanging space. The existing windows to the space have been opened up to provide some controlled natural light into the gallery. The gallery has a separate area for temporary exhibitions and an education suite. A new air conditioning system has been installed, giving close control over the gallery environment and providing a more stable environment for the display of art works.
A new lighting system was installed to provide flexibility for the hanging of exhibitions. Provision for IT was also brought into the gallery.