Whitgift School Masterplan
In 2018, PRS were appointed to develop and implement a 5-10-year masterplan for Whitgift School, a prominent day and boarding school in Croydon, London. Developing the masterplan entailed analysis of the school’s existing grounds and buildings, extensive assessments of space utilisation and efficiencies, and the drawing up of options for future enhancements to create a safer, more efficient and future-proofed campus for the school and its pupils and staff.
The masterplan proposes:
- An improved setting of the main, locally-listed building by restoring its Terrace to its original intended form
- A safer campus with vehicles and associated pollutants relocated away from the school buildings via a new carpark accessed from a new, separate campus entrance, and relocated maintenance workshops and recycling areas
- Additional and improved teaching spaces through the creation of a new classroom extension to the main building and internal alterations and optimisations
- A new Sixth Form and Wellness Centre
- Provision of new social and gathering space by covering over the school’s Centre Quad
- Provision of new external informal activity spaces in the form of a new all-weather pitch, new Junior School playground and a new ‘Senior Quad’ in the location of existing Gallery carpark
- An improved arts complex, including a new theatre and improved music school
- Landscaping measures to contribute to better air quality on the site
Works are underway to provide a safer and enhanced site. The school is now set within a more pedestrianised campus that prioritises pupil health, safety and wellbeing with vehicular movement having been relocated away from the school buildings through the creation of the new access and parking. Other projects underway are the new Estates Department, new Sixth Form and Wellness Centre, and the Centre Quad.